As an indie game developer, you have likely poured your heart and soul into creating a game that you believe in. However, the process of getting that game into the hands of players can be a daunting task. One of the most important steps in this process is PR, or public relations. In this blog post, we will explore some strategies for doing PR for your indie game.
- Reach out to game journalists and bloggers: Building relationships with writers who cover indie games is a great way to get the word out about your game. Send them information about your game, including a press release, screenshots, and a trailer. Be sure to personalize your outreach and let them know why your game is unique and worth covering.
- Use social media: Platforms like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook are great ways to connect with potential players and build a community around your game. Use these platforms to post updates, screenshots, and videos, and engage with your followers. Posting a simple clip on /r/indiegaming is also a great way to get noticed by a community that loves indie games.
- Submit to game festivals and events: Look for game festivals and events that accept indie games and submit your game to be considered. This is a great way to get your game in front of a large audience and can lead to coverage in the press.
- Optimize your steam page: Make sure to create a Steam page filled with good assets like a trailer and multiple screenshots. Having an up-to-date release window also helps you to get in the popular upcoming page.
- Join online communities: Join online communities of game developers and players and use them to promote your game and get feedback. This is a great way to connect with other developers and players and can help you build a community around your game.
- Make a demo version: Making a demo version of your game available for people to play is a great way to get feedback and create buzz. This can also help you to generate interest in your game before it is released.
- Reach out to streamers and YouTubers: Reach out to popular streamers and YouTubers and ask them to showcase your game on their channel. This will help you to get more visibility and can lead to more players discovering your game.
- Use email marketing: Build an email list of people who are interested in your game and send them updates, screenshots, and videos. This is a great way to keep in touch with your fans and let them know what’s new with your game.
In conclusion, doing PR for your indie game is essential to getting it in front of players. By using a combination of these strategies, you can build a community around your game and generate interest in it. Remember that you should always be looking for ways to improve your game based on feedback and be prepared to adapt your strategy as you go along.
If you need help with your public relations strategy, reach out to us!